The comic strip Peanuts is iconic with a capital I, so much so that it has transcended mediums from comics to television specials to commercials to a theatrical film. Peanuts is recognizable even to those that haven’t read it through cultural osmosis. However, this week while I read through some of the first Peanuts strips, I was very surprised to see how much the franchise has evolved. The characters and themes of the early strips have transformed dramatically since it’s inception. Charlie Brown, as we know him today, is a shy, kind-hearted elementary schooler who can’t fly a kite or play baseball, but tries his best and loves his friends, his sister, and his dog. Charlie Brown’s original incarnation, on the other hand, is a prankster who tries to act like an adult and wants to be well-liked by girls without trying very hard. Charlie Brown’s iconic canine companion, Snoopy, is less anthropomorphiz...
Comments
Post a Comment